Monday, May 12, 2014

Catching up

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.” 
              ― Ernest Hemmingway

I realized the other day that it's been way to long since my last update. I'll do my best to remember all that I've tried in the last month. So here we go...

First up is a beer from one of my favorite breweries, Ommegang out of Cooperstown, NY. This is Hennepin, another delicious ale, slightly hoppy, an effervescent similar to champagne, and an incredible head, frothy and creamy.

Ommegang Hennepin
Next is a local Cleveland brew, Lighthouse Gold by Crooked River. This is my first one of Crooked River's brews that I have had, I must say I quite enjoyed it. It had a very mild flavor, medium to light body, no bitterness, and quite refreshing.

Crooked River Lighthouse Gold

I have also been working on my world beer tour at the Winking Lizard, here are a few that I've had there recently. First up is Sierra Nevada's Summerfest. I haven't been a fan of Sierra Nevada in the past, I have had their pale ale and didn't care for it, a bit too hoppy for me. Summerfest was quite good, it was refreshing, smooth light mouthfeel, with a slightly bitter finish.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest
I let my wife pick my next tour beer and I must say she did a FANTASTIC job! She picked Schieder-Weisse Tap 7 Unser Original. I'm a big fan of wheat beers and this one is no exception. It has a light body, nice malt flavor and smooth, refreshing mouthfeel. I also liked the fact that it comes in 16.9 ounce bottles!

Schneider-Weisse Tap 7 Unser Original

The glass of the month at the Winking Lizard for May is Oberon, a wheat ale from Bells Brewery in Michigan. Not only do you get a sweet tall glass perfect for hefeweizens, I got a fantastic pair of red sunglasses too. This came served with a slice of orange on the rim, normally I don't care for fruit garnishes but this one was nice. As you getting ready for a sip you get the aroma of the orange then when the beer hits your mouth the spices used in it compliment the citrus aroma. I'm definitely going to have this one again.

Bell's Oberon


Next up is one that I did not care for. It comes from Atwater Brewery in Michigan, their Vanilla Java Porter. I've become a fan of porters and stouts, love the Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge, so I figured I'd give this one a try. I was dissappointed, initially the vanilla start to the flavor was good, then the coffee hit and it just went downhill. It has a medium body with a heavier mouthfeel that I would have expected. 

Atwater Brewery Vanilla Java Porter

Finally, returning to Ommegang for Rare Vos. This one was so good I wanted to swim in it. This is an Belgian amber ale with a hint of spices and the fantastic head that every one of Ommegang's beers have. Smooth flavor, medium body, and smooth, refreshing mouthfeel, there is nothing to not like about this beer.

Ommegang Rare Vos

Until next time...






No comments:

Post a Comment